A FORMER Guantanamo Bay inmate from Bahrain, who was freed by the US in 2005 and then arrested again by Saudi authorities, has been released for a second time.
Abdulla Al Nuaimi was in custody in Saudi Arabia since he was arrested at a checkpoint on King Fahad Causeway in October 2008.
However, his lawyer Abdulla Hashim confirmed that he had been set free on Saturday – almost nine years after his detention.
“Abdulla Al Nuaimi is finally released from Saudi and we are excited to see him reunite with his family,” Mr Hashim told the GDN.
Video of Mr Al Nuaimi being escorted by police from what appears to be a detention facility in Bahrain was posted on his Twitter account on Saturday.
The video ends on a close-up of his face as he is being greeted by relatives and supporters.
One of his friends told the GDN that Mr Al Nuaimi did not wish to speak to the media, adding that he was enjoying spending time with his family.
“He is happy to be with his family and we request people to respect his privacy,” said the friend, who did not wish to be named.
The Bahrain Human Rights Watch Society has long campaigned for Mr Al Nuaimi’s release and its secretary general Faisal Fulad welcomed the news.
“Abdulla suffered for years in Guantanamo Bay and was then jailed in Saudi,” said Mr Fulad.
“Several groups in Bahrain campaigned for his release since he was arrested in 2008 and we are glad he is a free man now.”
The 35-year-old was one of six Bahrainis to be imprisoned at the notorious Guantanamo Bay prison facility, allegedly after he travelled to Afghanistan in September 2001 to fight alongside the Taliban.
He was released by his American captors in 2005, only to be rearrested by Saudi Arabia three years later.
A Pentagon report issued in 2009 identified Mr Al Nuaimi as one of 27 former detainees “confirmed” to have engaged in terrorist activity since their release from Guantanamo Bay, a claim denied at the time by Mr Al Nuami’s family.
Fellow former Guantanamo Bay inmate Isa Al Murbati, who spent six years without charge behind bars at the American base in Cuba, said he was happy to know Mr Al Nuaimi was again a free man.
“It’s always good news when a person who has spent years behind bars is finally released,” said Mr Al Murbati.
“I heard from friends that Abdulla was finally released and I will visit him soon.
“I am happy he is with his children.”