A POLITICAL activist jailed for undermining Bahrain’s security by disseminating false information in TV interviews will learn his fate later this month in an appeal lodged against his conviction.
Nabeel Rajab was previously jailed for two years after being found guilty of spreading false news about Bahrain in interviews with foreign media outlets, including Iranian TV channel Al Alam.
He lodged an appeal against his conviction at the Supreme Criminal Appeals Court which adjourned his case until November 22 for a ruling.
Defence lawyer Jalila Al Sayed requested the acquittal of Mr Rajab claiming that he did not break the law.
“Your honour, there is no evidence that my client carried out those interviews and even if he did there is nothing that he did unlawfully,” she told a leading judge.
“When he previously said that some journalists were not allowed to enter the country he was not spreading false news.”
Mr Rajab has also been charged with insulting the Interior Ministry and the Reform and Rehabilitation Centre, as well as spreading false news about Bahrain in an article published by French newspaper Le Monde on December 20.
Mr Rajab is facing an additional charge for an op-ed he allegedly wrote for The New York Times newspaper on September 4, as well as another for allegedly disseminating false information about Bahrain through his Twitter account.