LEGAL action has been launched against a construction company in Bahrain after one of its labourers was killed in a worksite accident on Monday.
The GDN reported yesterday that Indian Jayander Kayadasi, aged 43, was run over by a forklift truck while at work.
According to Labour and Social Development Ministry’s Labour Safety Department chief Mustafa Al Shaikh, the forklift which crushed the carpenter was overloaded and its driver was unskilled.
The incident happened at around 10am inside the premises of the company in Hafeera.
“Labour inspectors visited the site of the accident,” Mr Al Shaikh told the GDN.
“We learn that the forklift was overloaded and the driver was not skilled to operate the vehicle.
“He did not have a licence to operate the forklift and he did not see the victim who was behind the truck.
“We have prepared the technical report and both the employer and the driver have been referred to the Public Prosecution – the employer for employing an unskilled worker and the driver for flouting regulations about load capacity.”
Meanwhile, a police investigation has been launched into the suicide by a Bangladeshi national who was also an employee of the same company.
Sources told the GDN that Shujon Reza was seriously injured in a worksite accident last month.
“Mr Reza suffered a head injury while at work and he was in the hospital for two days,” said Bangladesh Embassy labour consul Shaikh Tahidul Islam.
“Subsequently, he committed suicide and the police is investigating.”
The GDN reported that the 28-year-old labourer was found hanging in his accommodation in Arad on Saturday morning.
“A hard work material fell on his head while he was working and the deep cut that ran the full length of his head was sutured at a private hospital,” said a source.
“The doctor advised him to get admitted for at least a month, but he was brought back to the camp after two days.
“His injury worsened and the company demanded BD400 when he requested to be sent home.
“His friends were ready to take him to a private hospital after they received their salaries, but he committed suicide before that.”
However, Labour and Social Development Ministry Labour Affairs Under-Secretary Sabah Al Doseri said that the ministry was not notified of the incident.
“We will investigate this matter because we were not informed of a worksite accident which should have been reported.”