Middle East
GDN Online App available on
App Store / Play Store
Gulf Daily News Gulf Daily News
Gulf Daily News Gulf Daily News Gulf Daily News Gulf Daily News Gulf Daily News
Wednesday, September 26, 2018 ARCHIVES  |  SEARCH  |  POST ADS  |  ADVERTISE  |  SUBSCRIBE   |  LOGOUT   |  CONTACT US

Explosives couriered for terrorists in ‘meal’ boxes

Bahrain News
Fri, 22 Dec 2017
By Noor Zahra

A BAHRAINI who allegedly couriered explosives for terrorists in packages codenamed “meal” boxes has described finding the dead body of his master bomb maker in pieces after the latter accidentally blew himself up.

Nabeel Abdullah Al Samee, 40, died on July 19 when a bomb he made detonated as he was carrying it at a farm being used as a covert weapons facility in Al Hajer village, located on Budaiya Highway.

A 39-year-old Bahraini, who was allegedly the dead man’s accomplice, is now standing trial in the High Criminal Court where he appeared for the first time yesterday to deny transporting explosives on Mr Al Samee’s behalf.

He was charged following an investigation into the explosion that killed Mr Al Samee, having previously been sentenced to three years in jail for attempted murder in a separate case.

The defendant has also been implicated in a number of other cases involving the distribution of weapons and explosives.

Despite pleading not guilty he admitted during questioning at the Public Prosecution that he was paid BD100 to deliver bombs made by Mr Al Samee to terrorists for use in attacks on police.

Radical anti-government factions in Bahrain have repeatedly planted explosives designed to kill and injure police officers as part of a campaign of violence targeting security forces.

“What I am accused of is true,” he told prosecutors.

“Four months ago I met Nabeel Abdullah Al Samee at an animal sale at a barn in Shakhura.

“We became friends and he told me to work with him raising animals in the barn.

“He later told me to carry box cartons containing bombs in return for BD100 and I agreed.

“I later saw him making several homemade explosives in that barn, where he used fertilisers and metal ball bearings to make bombs.”

He described how they codenamed each parcel containing explosives “the meal”.

“For our first mission I transported explosives, which we called the meal, from Karzakan to a farm in Al Hajer village,” he said.

“I took a box carton containing five bombs, put them in my Nissan Sunny and drove them to the farm where I left them in an abandoned building.

“I did the same thing again, but the second time I transported three homemade explosives to the same location.

“The bombs were being handed to people to use in attacks to kill policemen.”

He said it was on the third occasion when he was supposed to transport bombs that he heard an explosion at the farm in Al Hajer and when he arrived found the dismembered body of Mr Al Samee.

“On July 19 I was supposed to go meet my friend (Mr Al Samee) in a farm in Al Hajer village when I heard a blast in the farm,” he added.

“He (Mr Al Samee) was making explosives and the bomb went off while he was in the process of making it.

“I saw his dismembered body lying in a pool of blood.

“His right arm and leg were both separated from his body and I saw pieces of the body on the ground.”

The trial was adjourned yesterday until January 10 for the court to appoint a defence lawyer for the defendant.

You Might Like