Middle East
GDN Online App available on
App Store / Play Store
Gulf Daily News Gulf Daily News
Gulf Daily News Gulf Daily News Gulf Daily News Gulf Daily News Gulf Daily News

Two murderers lose second appeal against death penalty

Bahrain News
Sat, 13 Jan 2018
By Noor Zahra
1 of 2

TWO murderers who beat a man to death, stuffed his body in a suitcase and then buried it have lost their second appeal against the death penalty.

Roubel Al Salam and Kamrol Miah, both from Bangladesh, were found guilty of premeditated murder by the High Criminal Court in 2015.

They tied up fellow Bangladeshi Haris Kanu Miah, aged 30, and gagged him with a piece of cloth before beating him to death over an unpaid debt of BD50.

They also stole the victim’s mobile phone and wallet.

Both defendants initially appealed against their sentences at the Supreme Criminal Appeals Court, which upheld the initial ruling in October 2015.

The case then went before the Cassation Court, Bahrain’s highest court, which referred it back to the appeals court to be tried by a different panel of judges.

However, the new panel of judges has now upheld their death sentences.

The defendants buried Mr Miah’s body at Al Louzy housing project in Hamad Town, on June 14, 2014.

It was not until almost two months later, on August 3, that his badly decomposed body was discovered when a passer-by alerted authorities to the foul smell.

Court documents revealed the defendants had planned to kill Mr Miah on several occasions, but were repeatedly scuppered by the presence of others.

They are said to have observed his movements for some time before the moment to kill him presented itself.

Mr Al Salam previously told prosecutors he was promised a large sum of money for his involvement.

However, he claimed the original agreement was to abduct the victim and hold him for a ransom.

The defendants, a labourer and a cleaner, were also convicted of assault, theft and staying in the country illegally.

An Indian pick-up driver earlier told prosecutors the defendants were carrying the suitcase, presumably with the victim’s body inside, when he gave them a lift on the day of the murder.

He said the suitcase was bound with rope and covered in duct tape and cloth.

You Might Like