Middle East
GDN Online App available on
App Store / Play Store
Gulf Daily News Gulf Daily News
Gulf Daily News Gulf Daily News Gulf Daily News Gulf Daily News Gulf Daily News
Tuesday, September 25, 2018 ARCHIVES  |  SEARCH  |  POST ADS  |  ADVERTISE  |  SUBSCRIBE   |  LOGOUT   |  CONTACT US

Police search for Indian coach who went missing a week ago

Bahrain News
Mon, 12 Feb 2018
Raji Unnikrishnan

DIPLOMATS have been roped in to search for a football coach who reportedly went missing in Bahrain a week ago.

Indian national Ondayankaryan Thilakan, who worked as a sports trainer with Indian Talent Academy, Zinj, was last seen on February 4 when a company driver dropped him off in Adliya.

A missing person’s report was filed for the 59-year-old the following day at the Hoora Police Station by his employer Latheesh Bharathan.

His son Vyshakh Thilakan told the GDN that they contacted the Indian Embassy yesterday for assistance.

“We have written a letter to the Indian Embassy and are awaiting a response,” said the 22-year-old student.

“We were informed by my father’s employer last Sunday evening that he did not come back after he went out in the morning.

“We tried calling his two mobile phones, one was switched off and the other was ringing.

“The last time he contacted us was on February 9; he sent a text message to my sister, who is supposed to come to Bahrain soon for a job in the same company.

“In the message he said he was making all arrangements for her travel.

“It has been over a week now and we are worried about our father.

“He had some financial issues, but we don’t know the details, as he didn’t say anything about it to us.”

Mr Bharathan, owner of Indian Talent Academy, said he has been following up the case with the police every day.

“The police are searching for him and we hope to find him soon,” he told the GDN.

“I also checked in the hospitals and with his friends.

“He went to pick up jerseys for a tournament with the driver last Sunday, but got off near HSBC bank in Adliya at around 11am – after that we haven’t seen him.”

A representative from the embassy confirmed to the GDN that they received the letter from Mr Thilakan’s family and they would “follow up the case”.

You Might Like