AN investigation has been launched after a child allegedly died from reaction to antibiotics while undergoing treatment at a private hospital in Bahrain.
Nine-year-old Thanusree Sivaraman, who had complained of severe throat pain, reportedly died soon after an intravenous antibiotic dose was administered to her.
According to informed sources, her legs went numb and she started bleeding from her nose and ears.
Thanusree died at 12.30am on Monday.
“The case has been reported as an incidence by the hospital and we have started the procedures of requesting the information and medical reports,” National Health Regulatory Authority (NHRA) chief executive Dr Maryam Al Jalahma told the GDN.
“Once we gather all the information, we will decide on the course of action.
“If it is a medical error, we will refer it to the investigation committee to decide as to who was responsible.”
According to a source close to the family, the hospital report said Thanusree died of septicaemia (blood poisoning).
“She was having fever and was treated last week by a doctor (at the same hospital) who gave her Panadol,” said the source.
“However, the fever did not subside and she started complaining of throat pain. So her parents took her back, this time to a different doctor who gave her antibiotics.
“Three days later, she was still complaining of throat pain so they took her to emergency on Sunday and the same doctor admitted her, saying she was dehydrated and gave her intravenous saline.
“She started crying in the night, complaining of acute pain. They informed the doctor who prescribed an antibiotic to be administered through the saline.
“Soon she complained of her legs freezing and then she was bleeding from her nose and ears; she died at around 12.30am.
“The hospital report said she died of septicaemia.”
The source also added that the hospital staff made the girl’s father sign a consent letter hours after she was admitted in the hospital’s emergency.
“It was shocking that the hospital staff made the father sign a consent form while the parents were busy attending to their child’s condition,” said the source.
“The staff told the father it was a form explaining the exit procedures of the hospital in case of an emergency and that it was a routine procedure.
“In the midst of things, he didn’t read it.
“Such a form should have been given to the family at the time of admission and not in the midst of an emergency.”
Sources at the hospital said police had visited it to collect the records of the case the same day.
“The case is being looked into by the NHRA and hospital has no comments, as the procedures are going on,” a hospital spokesman told the GDN.
Thanusree, the daughter of Sivaraman and Aarthee from Tamil Nadu, was a grade four student of the Bahrain Indian School (BIS).
“It is a difficult time for the BIS family,” said school principal Saji Jacob.
“Our heartfelt condolences to the bereaved family.”
Thanusree’s body is in Salmaniya Medical Complex’s morgue.