AN online petition calling for a boycott of a water park in Bahrain has been launched.
The petition, started by Salman Ahmed from Sanad on change.org on Monday, also urged the management of the Lost Paradise of Dilmun (LPOD) water park to apologise for its recent comments on a video showing two female visitors being harassed by a group of men.
The GDN reported earlier this month that LPOD had stepped up its security after the video prompted calls for a zero-tolerance approach to harassment.
In the incident, which reportedly happened on August 3, the two women were surrounded by a group of men in a pool and then groped.
The video went viral after it surfaced on social media on August 6, prompting mixed reactions online.
But a senior park official told the GDN the issue was “not a case of harassment as propagated on social media”.
The petition, ‘Boycott LPOD: Stand Up Against Sexual Harassment’, put forward three demands to the water park management – acknowledge what happened was sexual harassment, apologise and take stronger and more strict action against similar incidents in future.
“No action was taken against the offenders, no inquiry or investigation,” said the petition.
“What hurts the most was the dismissal of the incident as not being any form of sexual harassment or abuse; this is why we are standing up!
“In short, what happened at Lost Paradise was not, and is not, acceptable!
“We will not sit silent and do nothing about it.”
Many people condemned the men´s behaviour, but some accused the women of inciting the incident – provoking angry exchanges on social media.
The LPOD management earlier said CCTV footage of the incident had been handed over to the police.
They also pointed out that the women involved did not file a complaint with the park management and returned the next day.
On August 7, an Arabic hashtag on Twitter dedicated to the incident was the highest trending in Bahrain.
The petition was signed by 208 people until last night. The LPOD management did not comment when contacted.