A POLICEMAN described in court how a mob attacked him and his colleagues as they hurled Molotov cocktails at a police station in Demistan.
He was giving evidence yesterday in the appeal hearing of three people convicted of arson and jailed for seven years each.
The Bahrainis, aged 18, 24 and 27, were arrested for pelting policemen with Molotov cocktails and blowing up a gas cylinder near the police station in December last year.
They were among a mob of around 70 people who hurled firebombs at the officers, but only these three were apprehended.
The defendants were found guilty of possessing Molotov cocktails and arson by the High Criminal Court in June this year and they lodged an appeal at the Supreme Criminal Appeals Court.
The policeman could not identify any of the defendants in court because he said they were masked during the attack.
“I was guarding the police station in Demistan when I saw around 70 rioters holding Molotov cocktails in their hands,” said the 34-year-old in court yesterday.
“We ordered them to disperse but they ignored us and hurled the Molotov cocktails at us.
“My colleague fired pellet shots in the air to disperse the illegal gathering, but they continued to throw the Molotov cocktails at the police station.
“Part of the police station was damaged in the attack and luckily none of the policemen were injured.”
Defence lawyer Fatima Al Hawaj, representing one of men, argued in court yesterday that there was no solid evidence against her client.
“The assailants all wore masks, so how can one of the defendants blame my client of participating in the attack,” she told a leading judge.
“My client was not even present when the attack took place.
“In addition, there is no evidence proving that he attacked policemen with firebombs because none of the defendants were arrested at the scene of the crime.”
The appeal hearing was adjourned to September 25 for a ruling.