BARCELONA: Barcelona are set to make another attempt to sign Antoine Griezmann from Atletico Madrid after last year’s long saga led to the France international rejecting the Catalan club, according to multiple reports in the Spanish media yesterday.
Griezmann famously turned down an offer to join Barcelona last season, detailing his internal struggles about whether to make the move in a landmark documentary called The Decision, which was produced by a company owned by Barca’s Gerard Pique.
He later signed a new contract with Atletico until 2023 which initially raised his release clause to 200 million euros but numerous reports say that figure will drop to 120 million on July 1.
Catalan newspaper Sport said on their front cover that Barca have set their sights on Griezmann again and plan to fund paying his release clause of 120 million euros ($134.9 million) by selling Brazilian Philippe Coutinho, who cost them a club record 165 million.
Spanish newspaper Marca said that Atletico’s squad believe Griezmann’s departure is ‘feasible’ while radio station Cadena Ser said the Frenchman is looking to leave the Madrid outfit after ending the campaign trophyless.