Kuwait City: Kuwait's caretaker prime minister Shaikh Jaber Al Mubarak Al Hamad Al Sabah declined to be reappointed as premier on Monday, the state news agency KUNA reported, rebuffing the offer from the ruling Amir after submitting the government's resignation last week.
The cabinet resignation came after lawmakers sought a no-confidence vote against the interior minister over alleged abuse of power and as a feud emerged between senior members of the ruling family, including the interior and defence ministers, over alleged mishandling of military funds.
The interior minister has rejected lawmakers' charges against him.
Kuwait's Amir Shaikh Sabah Al Ahmad Al Jaber Al Sabah earlier on Monday removed his son, Defence Minister Shaikh Nasser Sabah Al Ahmad Al Sabah, and Interior Minister Shaikh Sabah Al Khalid Al Sabah from their posts in the current caretaker cabinet.
The Amir sought to reappoint Shaikh Jaber as premier, a post he has held since 2011, and asked him to form a new cabinet.
"I decline this appointment and ask that you accept that," Shaikh Jaber said in a letter to the Amir, citing media campaigns against him in the feud. It was carried by KUNA.
The defence minister had issued a statement two days after the government resignation, saying the cabinet had stood down to avoid addressing mismanagement of some 240
million dinars ($790 million) in military funds before he assumed office.
He said the defence ministry had submitted the case to the public prosecutor.
($1 = 0.3036 Kuwaiti dinars)