Kuwait City: A man suspected of involvement in the hacking of state-run Kuwait News Agency (KUNA) last month is facing a state security trial.
The State Security Agency referred the Egyptian man to the Public Prosecution for investigation.
Citing a well-informed source, Al Qabas newspaper said that the suspect, who fell sick during the interrogation, is receiving treatment under tight security at the hospital.
On January 8, the agency said its Twitter account had been hacked and used to spread false information about US troops withdrawing from a military base in Kuwait.
According to Reuters, the now-deleted report claimed that the Kuwaiti defence minister had received a letter from the US saying American troops would leave a Kuwaiti camp within three days.
The news agency said in follow-up tweets that it “categorically denies” the report that was published on its social media account and that Kuwait’s Ministry of Information is investigating the issue.