Dubai: Kuwait recorded three new cases, bringing its infection tally to 61, while Qatar reported its 12th case, the Health Ministries in the two nations said.
Saudi Arabia reported two new cases yesterday, a woman coming from Iran, and another one from Iraq, bringing the total number of infection in the kingdom to seven, according to a statement from the Health Ministry.
The virus, first recorded in China in December, has spread across the Gulf and beyond. Most cases in the Gulf Arab states are among people who either travelled to Iran personally, or were infected by people who had visited the Islamic Republic.
The UAE has advised citizens and residents against travelling abroad and all schools are closing for a month from today. Events across the country have also been cancelled or postponed, while some sports, such as horse racing and soccer, are going ahead.
Dozens of Saudis have come forward after authorities called on Friday for people who had been in Iran during the last two weeks to inform officials, the state-run Saudi Press Agency said yesterday, citing the Health Ministry.
It said 95 Saudis have come forward to say they are currently in Iran, while 26 said they had returned from Iran. Another seven said they were in a third country after having visited Iran, SPA said.
Saudi Arabia has asked people who have travelled to Lebanon, Egypt, Italy or South Korea to self-quarantine for two weeks from the day of their arrival in the kingdom.
Iran has reported one of the highest death tolls from the coronavirus outside China, with 145 deaths reported up until yesterday.
Kuwait has suspended flights to and from Egypt, Lebanon, Syria, Bangladesh, the Philippines, India and Sri Lanka for a week, and has banned the entry of foreigners who have been to those countries in the past two weeks.