A couple from the Indian state of Kerala has passed away after they succumbed to burn injuries caused as they resisted eviction.
A couple who set themselves on fire while resisting an eviction process succumbed to their burn injuries on Monday, police said.
Police said that the incident, which took place in Thiruvananthapuram on December 22, unveiled as they began to evict the couple from their house based on a court order.
They revealed that they met with resistance from the couple who threatened of suicide by setting themselves on fire.
Medical College Hospital authorities said that Rajan died of severe burn injuries on Sunday night and his wife Ambili succumbed to burn injuries on Monday evening.
"The incident took place on December 22 in Nellimoodu Village," police said.
"We reached the house of Rajan to attach their property based on a court order.
"To resist the eviction process, Rajan threatened to commit suicide and started to pour kerosene on Ambili and himself."
A video of the incident has surfaced showing Rajan holding his wife with one hand and threatening the police with a lighter in the other.
When a policeman gets involved in an attempt to foil the bid, fire from the lighter engulfs the couple.
Relatives allege that the couple caught on fire when policeman forcefully tried to take the lighter from Rajan's hand and that the couple had no intention of committing suicide.
Police are investigating the matter.