Middle East
GDN Online App available on
App Store / Play Store
Gulf Daily News Gulf Daily News
Gulf Daily News Gulf Daily News Gulf Daily News Gulf Daily News Gulf Daily News
Saturday, September 22, 2018 ARCHIVES  |  SEARCH  |  POST ADS  |  ADVERTISE  |  SUBSCRIBE   |  LOGOUT   |  CONTACT US

Witnesses recount café brawl over bicycle tyre

Bahrain News
Fri, 10 Nov 2017
Noor Zahra

WITNESSES described how they saw a Bangladeshi accountant being pushed through the glass window of a Manama coffee shop in a brawl over a bicycle tyre.

The Bahraini who pushed him later suffered a fractured skull, concussion and amnesia when he and his brother were allegedly ambushed in a revenge attack by three Bangladeshis, including the accountant.

All five are standing trial at the High Criminal Court where they pleaded not guilty to assault.

The incident happened when the Bahraini salesman, aged 40, took offence when a bicycle tyre was accidentally kicked into his leg.

An Indian man, who was at the coffee shop at the time of the alleged attack, told the court he had witnessed the assault.

“They all started to beat each other up in front of the coffee shop and I saw someone flying through the glass window,” the 35-year-old said.

“I also saw one of the Bangladeshi men attack the Bahrainis. I saw blood on the ground but did not see any of them use weapons.

“I got scared and left the area.”

Another witness described how he tried to stop the fight and got nearly hit himself.

“I heard people screaming and I rushed out of the coffee shop,” said the 35-year-old Indian.

“I saw him (one of the Bangladeshi defendants) beat up the Bahraini man.

“I tried to stop the fight but was nearly punched in the face. So, I decided to stand far away.

“Policemen arrived and arrested the men, and an ambulance took the Bahrainis to a hospital.”

The 40-year-old’s ex-wife told investigators that he was drunk at the time of the brawl. A medical examiner’s report stated that he had suffered amnesia and multiple fractures to his body and skull.

The trial was adjourned until December 3 for the submission of defence papers.