Middle East
GDN Online App available on
App Store / Play Store
Gulf Daily News Gulf Daily News
Gulf Daily News Gulf Daily News Gulf Daily News Gulf Daily News Gulf Daily News
Saturday, September 22, 2018 ARCHIVES  |  SEARCH  |  POST ADS  |  ADVERTISE  |  SUBSCRIBE   |  LOGOUT   |  CONTACT US

Watchman recalls ‘thunderous blast’

Bahrain News
Sat, 10 Feb 2018
Noor Zahra

A WATCHMAN has recalled hearing a “thunderous blast” when a bomber accidentally detonated an explosive device near the housing compound he was guarding.

The Pakistani national, aged 44, told prosecutors the explosion was so loud that he feared it happened inside the compound in Al Hajer village, located on Budaiya Highway.

The bomber, 40-year-old Nabeel Al Samee, was killed on July 19 last year at an abandoned farm being used as a covert weapons facility near the compound.

He died when the explosive device he was carrying detonated accidentally.

A Bahraini man, who was allegedly responsible for delivering Mr Al Samee’s homemade bombs to other terrorist operatives, is standing trial at the High Criminal Court, where he denied charges of possessing and transporting explosives.

“I was guarding the compound in Al Hajer village when I heard a blast sound that was very loud like thunder,” the security guard said in his statement to the Public Prosecution.

“The explosion sound was (so loud I) thought it was coming from inside the compound I was guarding.

“It was around 8.30pm and I went to see if the compound had been damaged from the explosion.

“Luckily there were no damages caused to the compound’s premises.”

The GDN previously reported that body parts of the bomber was first discovered by a child.

The grizzly discovery was then reported to police by the dead man’s brother, after the unidentified child alerted him.

The first officer to arrive at the blast scene said two of Mr Al Samee’s limbs were severed and parts of his body hung from a farm wall.

However, prosecutors claim he previously admitted to couriering explosives to terrorists in packages codenamed “meal boxes”.

The defendant, who has previously been sentenced to three years in jail for attempted murder in a separate trial, has also been implicated in a number of other cases involving the distribution of weapons and explosives.

Despite pleading not guilty he admitted during questioning at the Public Prosecution that he was paid BD100 to deliver bombs made by Mr Al Samee to terrorists for use in attacks on police.

Radical anti-government factions in Bahrain have repeatedly planted explosives designed to kill and injure police officers as part of a campaign of violence targeting security forces.

The trial has been adjourned to February 28 for a ruling.