Middle East
GDN Online App available on
App Store / Play Store
Gulf Daily News Gulf Daily News
Gulf Daily News Gulf Daily News Gulf Daily News Gulf Daily News Gulf Daily News
Friday, August 17, 2018 ARCHIVES  |  SEARCH  |  POST ADS  |  ADVERTISE  |  SUBSCRIBE   |  LOGOUT   |  CONTACT US

Man arrested after dismembered body of imam found in garbage bins

Bahrain News
Mon, 06 Aug 2018
By Noor Zahra
1 of 3

DISMEMBERED body parts of a mosque imam were found dumped in two garbage bins near a scrap yard in Askar, a day after he was reported missing.

The alleged killer of Abduljaleel Hmood, a Bahraini national of Yemeni origins, was confronted at around 1pm yesterday when witnesses spotted him dumping plastic bags near the scrap yard.

The witnesses questioned him about the bags and when the alleged killer confessed, they held on to him until police arrived.


Well-placed sources confirmed to the GDN that the victim was Mr Hmood, who was the imam of Bin Shida Mosque in Muharraq, where the alleged killer, a 35-year-old Bangladeshi national, also worked as a muezzin.

The Interior ministry yesterday confirmed that an Asian man has been arrested in connection to the murder.

“The body was found cut into pieces inside plastic bags in Al Mazra area near the scrap yard,” said the ministry.

“An investigation (has been) launched.”

One of the witnesses, Azar Abdulazim, described to the GDN how he stumbled upon the horrific discovery and confronted the alleged killer.

“I saw a brown skinned man with a beard dump things in the scrap yard opposite us,” said the 23-year-old Pakistani national.

“I immediately alerted two of my friends and we went to confront him, but in the meantime another man who was in a car managed to flee.

“We stopped the Bangladeshi man, who was dumping things in the scrap yard, and asked him what he was doing was illegal.

“I felt suspicious and asked him what was inside the plastic bags.

“In the beginning he told us it was garbage but we didn’t believe him and he then told us that his child died.”

He claimed that the man finally confessed to the crime when they pressed him with additional questions.

“He said that he killed the imam of a mosque and chopped him into pieces because the latter got on his nerves,” he added.

“We were shocked and could not believe what he did, so we held him until police arrived.

“I was not scared as it was my duty to stop something illegal from happening.”

A voice recording that was circulating on social media last night also alleged that a gang of Bangladeshis, including the muezzin, killed the victim because he asked them not to cause commotion inside the mosque.

It also claimed that the victim threatened to report the muezzin to the endowments directorate days before the murder.

This was also told to the GDN by a second witness, security guard Mohammed Najeeb, who was present with Mr Abdulazim at the scene.

He claimed the alleged killer told them he committed the crime because the victim had “filed a complaint against him with the endowments” directorate.

The GDN had learnt that the victim’s family reported him missing on Saturday, a day before he was found murdered.

You Might Like