SEVEN people, including a Bangladeshi muezzin who allegedly slaughtered a Bahraini imam inside a mosque earlier this month, have been further remanded in custody.
The 39-year-old prayer caller was arrested on suspicion of butchering Shaikh Abduljalil Hmood inside Bin Shiddah Mosque on August 4 and trying to dump body parts in a scrapyard in Askar.
The alleged killer has confessed to the Public Prosecution, recounting how he viciously beat the imam with an iron rod until he died inside the mosque in Muharraq, where they both worked.
He said he hid the body inside a toilet after morning prayers on August 4 and went to a nearby store to purchase a big knife and two plastic bags, adding that upon his return he dismembered the body and placed the parts in plastic bags.
“All the defendants have confessed to the charges and they have been further remanded for 15 days,” sources told the GDN.
“They described the horrific details and are expected to stand trial soon.
“Their confessions and evidence are sufficient to find them guilty of the charges.”
A day after the incident, the main suspect and another man drove to Askar where he was caught by witnesses dumping the plastic bags.
The muezzin has been charged with premeditated murder, which carries the death penalty, while the other men have been charged with aiding and abetting.
The GDN reported on August 8 that the muezzin broke down in tears as he confessed to his wife hours before his arrest.
Mother-of-two Dalia Siddique Akhi, from Bangladesh, said at the time that her husband had been arguing with Shaikh Hmood since last August, and that the tension was sparked by the muezzin’s activities outside work hours.
Shaikh Hmood was buried on August 9 in the Kanoo Mosque cemetery in Muharraq.
The 41-year-old Bahraini imam of Yemeni origin is survived by his wife Adeeba Hassan, 39 years, and 10 children, three sons and seven daughters.
The crime prompted authorities to embark on an initiative to replace foreign prayer callers, imams and mosque caretakers with Bahrainis.
However, a senior official at the Sunni Endowments Directorate reassured expatriates holding religious positions that they will not be fired overnight, describing the Bahrainisation effort as a long-term process.