HUNDREDS of people were evacuated from Bahrain Mall last night after fire broke out in an electricity meter.
Black smoke filled the inside of the mall and surrounding car park area as security personnel and firemen escorted employees and shoppers outside.
“The Civil Defence extinguished a fire in an electricity meter in a shopping mall in Sanabis,” said the Interior Ministry on its official Twitter account.
“The mall was evacuated as a precautionary measure and no injuries were reported.
“Relevant procedures are being taken.”
However, well-placed sources later confirmed to the GDN that two mall employees suffered minor injuries; one sustained a head injury while the other suffered from smoke inhalation.
The sources added that the blaze was caused by a short circuit in the electricity meter inside the mall.
Meanwhile, an eyewitness told the GDN that the mall was blanketed by the smoke, which quickly spread throughout the facility.
“I had just entered the mall and everyone was running out and it was pitch black,” said 23-year-old Salman Malim.
“Once I parked everyone was rushing out and I could smell the smoke.
“Everyone was asked to leave and no cars were allowed in.
“In the confusion I lost my car because it was pitch black in the parking lot as well.”
He said there was a heavy police and Civil Defence presence as the heat surrounding the property intensified.
“There was smoke coming out of one side of the building,” added Mr Malim. There were around five fire trucks and seven police vehicles and one ambulance.
“As far as I know no one was injured, thankfully.”
The mall management could not be reached for comment.