LONDON: Everton midfielder Andre Gomes is expected to make a full recovery after undergoing successful ankle surgery yesterday, the Premier League club said.
The Portugal international sustained the right ankle injury in the 1-1 draw at Goodison Park on Sunday after landing off balance at speed following a tackle from Tottenham Hotspur forward Son Heung-min.
“Andre Gomes underwent surgery to repair a fracture dislocation to his right ankle earlier today and the procedure went extremely well,” Everton said on their website (www.evertonfc.com). “The 26-year-old is expected to make a full recovery.”
Everton gave no time frame but said Gomes would recover in hospital before starting rehabilitation under the guidance of the club’s medical staff.
Everton manager Marco Silva had said earlier that the club would give Gomes and his family all the support they needed.
“He is seriously injured but I am 100% sure Andre will become stronger as a football player and as a man because he is a fantastic lad, a fantastic professional,” he added.
Son was shown a red card for his part in the incident and was in tears in the dressing room afterwards.
Yesterday, the 27-year-old was called up to the South Korea squad for two matches later this month and national team coach Paulo Bento said his international team mates would rally around him.
“What happened in that match is really unfortunate,” Bento told Yonhap News Agency. “It doesn’t matter which country a player is from. You never want to see anyone get hurt that seriously, but it’s also part of the game. “Heung-min has to pick things up and move forward, and we’ll try to help him the best we can.”
South Korea play Lebanon in a World Cup qualifier on Nov. 14 before facing Brazil in a friendly five days later in Abu Dhabi.