ROME: The start of full training at Italy’s professional soccer clubs has been postponed from today as they continue to wrangle over the government’s medical rules for dealing with the coronavirus.
The Gazzetta dello Sport, state broadcaster Rai and other media all said that the government’s technical-scientific committee had not ratified the rules which were announced last week but then questioned by the Serie A clubs and the Italian Football Federation (FIGC).
Several clubs had already decided either to continue with individual training or, at the most, divide players into small groups which would respect social distancing measures.
Serie A clubs hope to resume the league, which has been suspended since March 9, on June 13 but have been locked in to-and-fro discussions with the government over how to do so safely.
The main sticking-point is the government’s insistence that, if a player tests positive, the whole squad must go into quarantine for 14 days. The clubs argue that isolating the player involved would be sufficient.
“It is obvious that this would not allow us to finish the championship by August because, if there were 2-3 infected in one or two teams, everything would be systematically blocked for a couple of weeks,” Cagliari president Tommaso Giulini told Radio Super Sound.
“Since this has a good chance of happening, it would mean that 80pc to 90pc of us would not be able to finish by August 2...
“We are trying, we need less rigidity and within the next few days we will know something more.”