A six-year-old boy in Houston has passed away after contracting an naegleria fowleri infection - more commonly called a brain-eating amoeba.
"Active little boy" Josiah McIntyre died in September which led to the detection of the deadly brain-eating microbe in the Houston community.
"The notification to us at that time was that he has played at one of the play fountains and he may have also played with a water hose at the home," City Manager Modesto Mundo said.
His mother Maria Castillo has demanded answers after positive tests from a civic centre water feature and a fire hydrant revealed the organism.
"I'm angry and upset and sad and heartbroken," Castillo told ABC 13.
"It really means a lot to me because we want to know as a family for peace of mind. I know it doesn't bring him back. The fact that we know how he got it, how he contracted it, gives us peace of mind."
Officials in the US state of Texas have lifted the warning for eight communities although one city remained under a boil water notice.
The Texas Commission on Environmental Quality warned the Brazosport Water Authority late on Friday of the potential contamination of its water supply to be contaminated by the amoeba and initially warned eight communities not to use tap water for any reason except to flush toilets, but on Saturday, it lifted that warning for all communities.
The advisory was also cancelled for two state prisons and Dow Chemical's massive Freeport works.
The authority's water source is the Brazos River.