Children evacuated after kindergarten fire
CHILDREN were safely evacuated from a kindergarten in Saar yesterday after it caught fire.
The blaze broke out in the Disney Nursery when the children and teachers were still inside the building at around noon yesterday.
Sources confirmed to the GDN that the fire was contained in one room and no one was injured, as firemen quickly extinguished the blaze before it could spread.
“The fire started on the second floor in one of the buildings, while the teachers and children were still on the first floor,” said an eyewitness who wished to remain anonymous.
“When the teachers realised there was a fire they moved the children to another building, which also belonged to the kindergarten, and called for firemen.”
Speculation about the facility’s safety spread through social media, but parents of the pupils were quick to defend the kindergarten and praised the action taken by the teachers to ensure the children’s safety.
“A special thanks to the teachers, administration and everyone who works there, they did not fall short in the protection of our children,” said one of the parents on social media.
“They were willing to sacrifice themselves for the sake of our children and (the fire that) happened was a matter of fate.”
The Interior Ministry confirmed on its Twitter account that preliminary information indicated that the fire was caused by a short circuit in an air conditioning unit.