LONDON: Former world number one golfer Rory McIlroy is the richest young sportsperson in Britain and Ireland for a second straight year with a net worth of £138 million ($179.68 million), according to The Sunday Times newspaper’s Rich List thesundaytimes.co.uk/richlist2019.
McIlroy’s wealth rose by £28 million rom last year and the 30-year-old four-times major winner was ranked above Real Madrid soccer player Gareth Bale who was valued at £94 million and Manchester City’s Sergio Aguero at £58 million.
The 30-and-under age cutoff excludes Mercedes Formula One driver Lewis Hamilton (34), with the five-times world champion worth £159 million, according to last year’s overall list.
There were eight soccer players in the top 10, although world heavyweight champion boxer Anthony Joshua was fourth with £49 million thanks to a £14 million increase in wealth this year.
10 richest young sports stars aged 30 or under (2019 wealth figures in pounds)
1. Rory McIlroy (golf) 138 million
2. Gareth Bale (soccer) 94 million
3. Sergio Aguero (soccer) 58 million
4. Anthony Joshua (boxing) 49 million
5. Mesut Ozil (soccer) 42 million
6. Eden Hazard (soccer) 40 million
7. Alexis Sanchez (soccer) 39 million
8. Paul Pogba (soccer) 37 million
9. Theo Walcott (soccer) 29 million
10. Willian (soccer) 27 million