A BUMBLING doctor jailed for six months after neglecting a heavily-pregnant Bahraini woman and causing the death of her unborn baby has lost her final appeal.
The 35-year-old Bahraini GP was found guilty of manslaughter by the Lower Criminal Court in July last year.
She lodged an appeal against her conviction at the Supreme Criminal Appeals Court, which upheld her sentence in September. She then went on to file a final appeal at the Cassation Court, which was rejected yesterday.
The pregnant patient visited a private hospital in Manama on January 12, 2020, complaining of severe stomach pains, the court was told, and was told she was suffering from a urinary tract infection and sent home.
Due to the misdiagnosis, she suffered internal bleeding and was rushed to Salmaniya Medical Complex (SMC) where she had to undergo an emergency caesarean section. Medics could not save the child.
The woman also lost 3.4 litres of blood and her life was put at risk, the court heard.
The defendant was accused and found guilty of having misdiagnosed the situation and failing to inform the specialist-in-charge of the case at the private hospital – which led to a late intervention, according to court documents.
“The defendant caused the death of the unborn baby and this led to the woman’s health to deteriorate,” read the final court ruling. “She did not inform the specialist at the hospital about the situation, which could have been avoided if she had run a sonar test.
“The unborn baby could have lived if the woman had received an earlier caesarean section delivery. Instead, due to her lack of expertise, the doctor told the woman that she was suffering from a urinary tract infection.”
noorz@gdnmedia.bh