A MOVE to stage a ‘women-only’ day either on a Friday or Saturday in all public parks and gardens across Bahrain has been dismissed as unfair on families.
The suggestion had been made in a bid to tackle ‘ogling issues’ and offer ‘comfort time zones’ for women and young girls who want a ‘hassle-free’ way to stay fit.
Municipalities Affairs and Agriculture Minister Wael Al Mubarak has rejected a proposal submitted by the Southern Municipal Council, highlighting the fact that weekends were important times for families to enjoy the facilities.
“It is inappropriate to have women-only days during weekends because it is the time, and possibly the only time, that families go out for get-togethers, gatherings and picnics,” said Mr Al Mubarak.
Also, the minister revealed that a study was ongoing on a possible revision of the cost of enjoying them as some have a 300 fils entrance price.
“We are trying to get more people to visit and use public parks and gardens and for that we are currently studying exempting the elderly and other segments within society from entry fees,” he added.
“So restrictions don’t fall within our vision on how to make municipal facilities attractive, affordable and likeable destinations.”
The ministry informed Bahrain’s three municipal councils and the Capital Trustees Board in 2021 that it was studying proposals to introduce informal special days for women in selected locations.
However, ministry officials have told municipal authorities in Bahrain’s four governorates that a flexible system was necessary to avoid depriving the general public of much-needed space to breathe fresh air and exercise.
Women-only days have been unofficially implemented in the Khalifa Al Kubra Garden in Riffa during weekdays over the past six years.
Southern Municipal Council chairman Abdulla Abdullatif has requested further clarification.
“So, does the ministry agree there should be women-only days on any day apart from the weekend or is the concept of women-only days rejected as an idea in entirety?” he asked.
“We need to know if women-only days during week days, at specific parks and gardens, could be formerly publicised.
“Of course, we don’t want all our parks to turn ‘women-only’ as everyone should have access to public facilities without discrimination but this would be a way to ensure they are not continually bothered.
“We are still waiting for ideas to ensure we offer a flexible mechanism but at least we should be able to stop women feeling uncomfortable at being ogled at by card-playing men sitting on the sidelines. However, all scenarios need to be looked into carefully.
“There will be times when a mother wants to go out with her teenage sons and it will be terrible to find her children being turned away. Likewise, the same could apply to a girl who couldn’t go to the park to play with her brothers.
“Bahraini men in general are respectable and I do not believe there are numerous cases of women being bothered by them.
“There may be the occasional rare incident but that should not result in a mass punishment handed out to all men. But, all what we ask is a clear direction on this issue, once-and-for-all.”
Housing and Urban Planning Ministry Under-Secretary and former Southern Municipality director general Assem Abdullatif said earlier that constitutionally, everyone had the right to use municipal spaces. He also suggested building higher walls in certain municipal spaces to make women feel more comfortable.
mohammed@gdnmedia.bh