FURY has erupted over plans to stage a pop-tribute concert on the same day the kingdom rallies to raise donations as part of a community campaign to support the plight of Palestinians caught up in the siege of Gaza.
Numerous other high-profile events, including a musical performance and a mall’s birthday celebration press call, have been postponed in solidarity and support with those suffering during the Israeli bombardment.
TribFest Bahrain, a bi-annual 12-hour music festival featuring cover bands of famous musicians and bands staged at the Bahrain Rugby Football Club in Janabiya, has been called ‘disrespectful’ and ‘shameful’ by followers commenting on social media.
One angry Palestinian supporter said: “I don’t think this is the right time to be announcing or having such events while the world is in tears and carrying hefty hearts.”
Another added: “What is wrong with you? Shame!”
One platform advertising the event also came under fire with followers blasting: “Stop posting these kinds of posts. Don’t you know what is happening in Palestine? It will be shameful for us if we go to these kinds of music festivals. Their pain is our pain. Their sorrow is our sorrow.”
The GDN approached the host venue and its chairman, Mike Cunningham, said he was travelling outside the country and was unaware of the upset caused. The event organiser Lewis McDonough was busy in a business meeting when approached to comment and declined to return calls despite being sent messages.
The event usually attracts thousands of music-lovers with tribute acts flying in from Europe and today’s festival features the UK’s ‘number one tribute acts’ such as Green Day, Coldplay, Queen, Harry Styles, plus an Elvis impersonator and a band pretending to be Maroon Five, incidentally just weeks before the original act is set to arrive for a major concert.
Events such as one planned by Al Riwaq Art Space, called Al Bait, which was also set to include live performances, have been postponed.
The Al Riwaq team released a statement to the media, stating: “In light of the escalation in events and collective mourning, we announce that the ‘Al Bait’ community event, previously to be held on Friday and Saturday, will be postponed.”
In another message, the mall owners told the media: “In light of the events unfolding in the region and their impact on the lives of many, we have decided to reschedule until an appropriate time in the future.”
The Bahrain Authority for Culture and Antiquities Fan Al Sawt Night, also scheduled to take place at the Bahrain National Theatre tonight has been ‘postponed until further notice’ although no reason was offered.
Meanwhile, many people across the kingdom will be glued to small screens today at 5pm as Bahrain TV broadcasts an appeal for much-needed donations as part of a ‘Help Gaza’ drive announced by the Royal Humanitarian Foundation (RHF).
RHF secretary-general and National Committee for the Support of the Palestinians in Gaza chairman Dr Mustafa Al Sayed said that the campaign would be open for donations and contributions from everybody.