Messy campers have been urged to clean up after themselves once they pack up their pitched tents in the Sakhir desert at the end of the month.
According to Southern Governorate officials, they will need to remove everything in a timely manner by February 29.
Thousands flock to Sakhir most years to enjoy the cooler chimes and get back to nature under canvas.
“People are also being asked to observe security and safety procedures during the removal process in order to minimise any risk of injury,” the governorate said in an advisory released on social media.
“All tents, camp facilities including kitchen and campfires, as well as fencing, all need to be removed by the deadline, with no exception.
“Any holes or ditches that have been dug must also be filled up in order to further protect the environment.”
People have also been warned against harming wildlife – whether plants or animals – when they are packing up to return home.
Officials have in the past caught campers insanely burning rubbish near oil pipelines in Sakhir to avoid having to take their mess away and dispose of it properly.
Bahrain’s popular camping season made its long awaited return last year on November 10, after a three-year hiatus due to the Covid-19 pandemic.
Most families play by the rules and some have even excelled during this camping season.
His Majesty King Hamad’s representative for humanitarian work and youth affairs Shaikh Nasser bin Hamad Al Khalifa launched a series of ‘Best Camp Awards’ and directed the allocation of cash prizes to weekly winners. So far, 13 have impressed and received their rewards.
The successful initiative was introduced to help maintain public safety in camping sites and encourage citizens and residents to take care of the environment.
Southern Governor Shaikh Khalifa bin Ali Al Khalifa had said that almost 3,500 participants registered for the competition this season, constituting a 25 per cent increase compared to recent years.
Other campaigns have also been launched to ensure that safety was the key word, after the GDN reported how concerned Interior Ministry Civil Defence operations officer Captain Mohamed Jamal revealed that most emergencies the authorities had to deal with over the camping season had been fire related.
In case of an emergency over the last few days, campers should contact the Emergency Call Centre by dialling 999. The calls are free and cover all emergency services – fire, police and ambulance.
nader@gdnmedia.bh