There could be double delight for Bahraini families during the holy month of Ramadan next month with moves by MPs to increase the monthly anti-inflation allowance.
MPs unanimously approved an urgent proposal to have the BD55, BD77 and BD110 allowances benefiting more than 100,000 families increased.
They believe the move should mirror the decision to double the monthly social welfare allowance for underprivileged families agreed by the Cabinet on Monday.
MPs also unanimously voted in favour of two other urgent proposals to allow foreign preachers and Quran reciters to enter Bahrain during Ramadan and allow mosques and ma’tams to open outdoor speakers for special prayers during the holy month.
They also unanimously approved an urgent proposal to build and name new mosques under the names of martyrs.
Parliament Speaker Ahmed Al Musallam warned MPs that he would end the session at 3pm as agreed earlier whether the schedule is finished or not if they failed to shorten their comments on each topic. The session, however, continued until 3.40pm.
Housing and Urban Planning Minister Amna Al Romaihi said 13,788 requests for social homes were pending in the Capital Governorate, 8,739 in Muharraq Governorate, 21,404 in Northern Governorate and 7,455 in Southern Governorate.
She gave the details in response to a question by Parliament legislative and legal affairs committee vice-chairman MP Mahmood Fardan.
Pending
Revealing more statistics on housing services, the minister said 276 families awaited plots in the Capital area, 629 in Muharraq, 387 in Northern and 393 in the Southern governorates.
“There are 409 requests for apartments each in Capital and Muharraq, 441 in Northern and 632 in Southern governorates,” she added.
“A total of 54,962 requests are pending until date, however, the numbers are set to drop following a decision by His Royal Highness Prince Salman bin Hamad Al Khalifa, Crown Prince and Prime Minister, to distribute 6,800 housing services in December.
“Many families on the waiting lists are seeking new financing solutions introduced by the ministry, which could bring down the numbers further.
“We have also started two new land partnership deals with the private sector for 263 homes and there are eight additional deals that will be finalised this year.”
In another response to a question by services committee chairman MP Mohammed Al Hussaini on evacuation and reconstruction of old apartment buildings, the minister said 1,643 out of 1,880 flats were now empty with tenants moving out of the properties.
“A total of 116 out of 246 apartment buildings have been evacuated,” she said. “We cannot begin demolitions until all residents move to other properties,” she added.
She also said that tenants would receive BD200 a month for two years as housing support after they leave the apartments.
The minister said 13,000 families had benefited from the Mazaya social homes financing schemes. She revealed the details in a written response to a question by Strategic Thinking Bloc spokesman MP Khalid Bu Onk.
Bahrain is on its way to become home to the new regional headquarters of the GCC Telecom Technical Bureau.
MPs unanimously approved the government-drafted legislation at the weekly session yesterday.
Strategic Thinking Bloc president MP Ahmed Al Salloom believes that the choice of Bahrain as the headquarters of this office reflects the kingdom’s pioneering role at a regional level in improving the communications sector.
“Bahrain is undoubtedly one of the advanced countries in the region in terms of its communications network, infrastructure and digital transformation,” he added.
“It enhances the kingdom’s image as a leading regional destination in this field and, at the same time, reflects a keenness to enhance co-operation within GCC states to ensure the success of joint goals.”
The legislation follows an agreement signed in November last year by Foreign Minister Dr Abdullatif Al Zayani to set up the facility in Busaiteen.
Under the governing rules, Bahrain has no right to monitor the bureau’s official communications while allowing it to use secure codes and encryptions in its letters and calls.
The bureau will have the right to use diplomatic bags and telecommunication equipment available in the country in line with local regulations.
Bahrain’s government cannot take any legal or administrative action against the bureau with all employees being granted diplomatic immunity.
The rules also exempt the bureau from all taxes, while allowing it to carry out financial transactions without any restrictions.
Bahrain will be obliged to provide all facilities and services such as post, phone, electricity and water.
The bureau’s agreement is timeless, unless Bahrain notifies the GCC General-Secretariat or vice versa six months prior to any termination.
Parliament and Shura Council Affairs Minister Ghanim Al Buainain and first deputy speaker Abdulnabi Salman had a tense argument over the diplomatic powers given to the authority’s employees.
The matter has now been referred to the Shura Council for review.