NATO is prepared to address any threat and will always do what is necessary to defend all allies, a Nato official said yesterday in response to questions about a report in the Financial Times that Iran has allegedly weighed attacking US military targets in Europe should Donald Trump escalate the war.
“As demonstrated earlier this year when Nato air defences successfully intercepted ballistic missiles heading to Türkiye from Iran on four separate occasions, our deterrence and defence posture is strong and effective,” the official said.
Meanwhile, Denmark has ordered an anti-drone command and control system from Danish defence contractor Terma that will strengthen the country’s ability to detect and respond to drone threats in real time, the government said yesterday.
European Nato members are boosting defence investments to improve deterrence and defence against Russia, and to demonstrate to US President Donald Trump that they are taking his demands for burden-shifting within the alliance seriously.
“This is a major step towards increasing protection against drones over Denmark which can effectively detect and eliminate hostile drones,” Defence Minister Jeppe Bruus said in a statement.
Terma’s Helion platform combines sensor data to form a shared situational awareness, the Danish company said in a separate statement.
The system will give the armed forces and other authorities the ability to detect, understand and act on drone threats in real time, it added.
Terma and the government did not disclose the value of the order.
Copenhagen Airport temporarily suspended flights on September 22 last year following reports of flying objects, thought to be drones, in its airspace.
Other airports including the air force’s main fighter jet base, paused operations after similar incidents in the following days.
Police said in June they had closed their investigation into the incidents, having found no evidence that the objects had been drones.