A GRIEVING mother broke down in tears as she spoke of her agony at losing her daughter at the hands of a killer as she testified during an emotionally-charged murder hearing at the High Criminal Court yesterday.
A 35-year-old Bahraini man is on trial for allegedly killing the Bahraini victim and dumping her body in a remote location in Sanad on June 5.
He has been charged with premeditated murder, desecration of a corpse in addition to consensual sexual assault considering the fact that the victim was a minor, based on court documents that stated she was aged between 14 and 21 years.
He told the court at the last hearing on August 2 that the victim was blackmailing him with intimate photographs and videos which she had reportedly taken without his knowledge during their last meeting when he had requested to end their illegal relationship.
The victim’s father also told the court on August 2 that his daughter had been diagnosed with a borderline personality disorder, characterised by severe mood swings, impulsive behaviour and difficulty in forming stable personal relationships.
He added that she was suffering from thoughts of suicide and self-harm due to her condition for which she was receiving medical treatment.
However, the victim’s mother told the court yesterday that her daughter didn’t suffer from any illness until 2021 when she became depressed.
“My daughter never went out or was absent from the house except on the day of the incident,” she said fighting back tears.
“On that day we checked through the SnapChat application and found that the map put her in the coast of Malkiya before the connection was lost completely.
“We even went there but we couldn’t find anything.
“She had dreams of becoming a lawyer after graduating but she was taken from me.
“My daughter was killed but she wasn’t the only one who died.
“Our entire family died with her.”
The GDN previously reported that the victim’s family had filed a report immediately after she went missing – a month and a half before the discovery of her body on a coast in Sanad.
Meanwhile, the forensic medicine department head testified yesterday that the defendant appeared ‘normal’ during an examination.
“The defendant didn’t appear to be afraid or nervous during his examination and I didn’t sense any sadness or sorrow when I examined him,” he said.
“He was fully aware of the questions I was asking and conscious of the answers that he was giving.
“When I asked him if he had sustained any injuries during the incident he said he didn’t because he had ambushed the victim who was unable to fight back after which he strangled her.”
The Public Prosecutor present in court yesterday stated that witness testimonies given in court prove beyond a reasonable doubt that the murder was premeditated and the defendant planned to take the victim’s life.
Meanwhile, a key witness in the case could be forced to appear in court next week after an arrest warrant was issued yesterday to ensure his appearance.
The man, who came across the body on June 5 in Sanad and reported the crime to authorities, failed to appear to testify at two previous hearings.
Judges yesterday adjourned the trial to August 17 to execute the arrest warrant and review the victim’s medical record while keeping the defendant in custody.
reem@gdnmedia.bh