A BROTHER of the Islamic State (IS) figurehead in Bahrain has denied any links to the militant group.
Turki Al Binali is said to have established the Bahrain branch of IS and rose to become one of the organisation’s most influential members, before reportedly being killed in an air strike in Syria on June 1 last year.
However, his brother – who is among 24 people convicted of joining the Bahraini IS cell – yesterday claimed he had only been implicated in the case because he refused to co-operate with police.
He told the Supreme Criminal Appeals Court that did not mean he was an accomplice, despite judges previously hearing that he was in possession of a statement pledging allegiance to IS, as well as a sword and ammunition.
“I am not my brother, I am not a terrorist and I am my own man,” the bearded defendant told the court from behind a protective screen.
“I have nothing to do with my brother’s actions.
“My brother is the first suspect in this case, but I was never like him because he has a terrorist ideology.
“He was arrested in 2007 for three months and then released.
“Policemen approached me and told me to communicate with my brother abroad and help gather information about him.
“However, I refused because I had a separate life and had nothing to do with my brother.
“I was purposely targeted by authorities since then. Policemen would monitor my every movement before falsely implicating me in this case.
“I did not join, support or finance any terrorist cells.”
The High Criminal Court in 2016 convicted all 24 defendants of joining the Bahrain branch of IS and receiving militia training abroad.
Turki Al Binali was sentenced to life in jail in absentia, while the rest of the defendants – including two of his brothers – got 15 years each.
The eight defendants in custody then appealed at the Supreme Criminal Appeals Court, which reduced their jail terms to 10 years last June.
All eight lodged a final appeal at the Cassation Court, which referred the case back to the appeals court for review – with a verdict due to be delivered on April 24.
Another defendant who also spoke yesterday said his career as a footballer with the national team was at stake.
“I used to be in the Bahrain national football team, but I was arrested when I was 17,” he told judges. “I only confessed to the charges under duress and my future with the team is now at risk.
“I told policemen I was part of the terrorist group because I was told if I said this, I would not be kicked out of the football team.”
Thirteen of the defendants had their nationality revoked in June 2016, while the rest were among 72 people whose nationality was revoked on January 31, 2015 by royal decree.
According to court documents, Turki Al Binali joined the militant organisation in August 2013 and was appointed to run the Bahrain branch by IS leader Abu Bakr Al Baghdadi.
His co-defendants allegedly travelled to Syria for militia, weapons and explosives training, while two, aged 17 and 20, allegedly plotted a suicide attack on a Shi’ite mosque.
Three also called on members of the BDF to disobey authorities and leave their jobs because “their role did not conform to Islam”.