A man accused of setting fires in eight separate cases has been admitted to the Psychiatric Hospital by court order.
The 46-year-old Bahraini previously told the court that he set dumpsters ablaze in ‘revenge against people in the neighbourhood’ because they had accused him of ‘being an informant’.
“I’m being bothered by vandals and troublemakers in the area, who say I’m spying on them, and they threaten me. I hope you forgive my actions,” he said.
According to the Public Prosecution, the defendant – a retired Interior Ministry employee – allegedly set fire to dumpsters on January 2, February 12 and 27, March 20, April 16 and 21, and May 14 and 29.
The presiding judge ordered his admission to the Psychiatric Hospital after he told the court that he ‘suffered convulsions’ during bouts of extreme agitation.
The court also requested the Health Ministry’s Medical Commission to convene a three-person committee to evaluate his mental and psychiatric state and determine whether he can be held responsible for his actions.
The panel has been instructed to submit its findings in a report to the court.
The GDN previously reported that the defendant was facing trial in four cases, but the number has since doubled, with four additional cases added to the proceedings.
In all eight cases, he is accused of deliberately setting fires to dumpsters in Mahazza, Sitra, and endangering lives and property. However, details distinguishing each incident remain limited.
The defendant admitted to igniting tissue paper with a lighter before throwing it into the dumpsters, causing the fires to spread.
During an earlier hearing, he told the court: “I did it because of my mental health condition and the circumstances I am going through.
“I also did it because the trash smells awful and I did not want it to become a source of disease, as the garbage bins are not emptied often enough,” he added.
In a defence memorandum, his lawyer asked the court to amend the charges to property damage, arguing that the incidents did not place anyone’s life in danger.
His attorney further contended that his client should not be held criminally responsible because he suffers from a mental illness that leaves him unable to control his actions.
He added that the defendant was remorseful, deeply regretted his conduct and had pledged not to repeat it.
The Public Prosecution previously presented a summary of CCTV footage that allegedly captured the defendant in the act.
“In a residential area, a thin man wearing a white thobe was seen placing a dark shawl around his neck, and walking towards a dumpster on the side of the road,” the summary read.
“As he walked away from the dumpster, flames began rising from the waste container.”
The case has been adjourned until September 1, when the psychiatric assessment report is due to be presented to the court.