A 22-year-old has reportedly died in Beijing, China, after rapidly consuming a 1.5-litre bottle of carbonated drink within 10 minutes to cool off.
The Chinese man suffered from hepatic ischemia, also known as “shock liver”, a type of injury caused by low oxygen supply to the organ, it was revealed.
Rapid consumption of the fizzy beverage led to a fatal build-up of gas inside his body. And six hours later, he was forced to go to Chaoyang Hospital after experiencing severe pain and a swollen stomach, the Daily Mail reported.
Doctors who detailed the case revealed that guzzling the carbonated drink so quickly caused lethal damage.
While he had no underlying health issues, tests showed that he suffered from an elevated heart rate, low blood pressure and rapid breathing.
Blood reports also revealed that the man had seriously damaged his liver and passed away after his condition worsened despite 18 hours of treatment.