A strategic five-year agreement that could turn Bahrain into a major cybersecurity hub in the region was signed yesterday at the Bahrain National Museum.
The agreement, signed between the National Cyber Security Centre (NCSC) and DEF CON, will not only enhance cybersecurity in the region, but also help develop the next generation of Bahraini cadres.
It was signed by NCSC chief executive officer Shaikh Salman bin Mohammed Al Khalifa and DEF CON founder Jeff Moss, both of whom confirmed that the DEF CON Middle East conference will be held on November 11 and 12.
Intensive, multi-day technical training for participants, led by recognised global cybersecurity instructors, will also be held from November 8 to 10 in preparation.
Speaking during the signing, Shaikh Salman expressed his pride in DEF CON chosing Bahrain as their hub in the Middle East.
“The agreement will add tremendous value to the cybersecurity profession in the kingdom, especially for youngsters,” he said. “It will enable them to interact and learn from experts and researchers in the field about the latest technologies, advancements and vulnerabilities to enhance their readiness and skills.
“This is an opportunity to establish Bahrain as the centre of excellence at a regional level.
“As for DEF CON Middle East conference, it is a prestigious event where everyone can learn from each other, form a community, and make the cyber world a better place for people in Bahrain and the region as a whole.”
Formed in 1993, DEF CON is one of the world’s most prominent cybersecurity conferences.
This is the second event that will be held under their brand in the kingdom, the first one being the Arab International Cybersecurity Conference and Exhibition (AICS), which was held on November 5 and 6 last year at Exhibition World Bahrain.
DEF CON Middle East is expected to bring the signature ‘hacker spirit’ to the kingdom, featuring hands-on laboratories, Capture the Flag competitions, and expert-led training focusing on emerging threats and defensive strategies.
Following its success at the AICS last year, it will also bring back the popular ‘DEF CON Villages’, with programmes to be delivered in the form of intensive eight-hour daily courses on topics like AI security, digital forensics and cloud infrastructure.
The agenda, including the speakers, workshops and courses to be provided, is expected to be finalised in the coming months.
Mr Moss said that he was delighted that DEF CON would make its return to Bahrain this year, and that he is confident the kingdom is the right partner for such an event.
“This is largely thanks to the directives of His Royal Highness Prince Salman bin Hamad Al Khalifa, Crown Prince and Prime Minister, that we can be in Bahrain again,” he said.
“We selected Bahrain as our partner for the next five years largely in part due to its people, culture, language, accessibility, friendliness and openness.
“We knew right away last year that the kingdom would be the right partner for us, and we knew we had to formalise a longer agreement.
“This country is a connector to the region, one that is approachable for international experts.
“This is a good chance for Bahrain to show off its capabilities to the rest of the Middle East and the world.”
nader@gdnmedia.bh